TSE September 2001

RE: OT--horror and phones

"Arwin van Arum" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:36:30 +0200

text/plain

Nancy, all,

It's horrible. Some were talking about the third world war starting -
ridiculous of course, as in that building were companies from 25 nations,
and few nations have much to gain by destroying this building or being at
war with the US. We can only hope that nobody reacts in the way that the
Palestinians and the Israelies have been reacting to each other, as we all
know that only means that somewhere in the future this will happen again,
and again, and again. The only way this can be prevented is by giving the
right example.

Anyway, none of this politics thing was on my mind when it happened. I just
thought of those on the TSEliot mailing list that I know live or have a
house or friends in New York, and I chatted a lot with an American girl I
met at work some years ago on MSN to share news and give sympathy. The only
somewhat light thought I could permit myself (partly because I gave it
serious consideration) was that I'd never realised that a bunch of kids
acting out Quake in some highschool would turn out to be so completely
overshadowed by a bunch of kids playing out MS Flight Simulator. I know, I'm
sorry, but everyone on the news was just saying how it had to be some big
organisation to be able to get hijackers to learn how to fly, where pilots
(I know one) know it isn't all that difficult anyway. And then you know all
these jokes will turn up - the question is only how soon, and how long it
takes before are no longer too disgusted to forward them. But there's always
so much irony and sadness. Only last week, I helped out Tom on the
internet with a phone number of a lawyer in the Netherlands, and as a return
of favour he told me "if you ever need a place to crash in New York ... ".
As a linguist, I can't help but wonder about the future of this expression.

And of course I thought about how I'd never seen the Twin Towers and now
never will. But first and foremost about how many people worked there, which
is just too many to bear thinking about, and the horrific realisation that
if 'only' a few thousand people die, we should have been so lucky that it
wasn't tens of thousands of people. That just illustrates the scope of this
disaster.

If you start thinking long enough about this, you might even wonder whether
you should send mails like these at all, because they will slow down FBI and
CIA reviews of all mail traffic that seems remotely linked to this event and
could contain a clue to who acted on whose behalf. All in all I can only be
happy that no anti-Americans in my area have so far been sick or crazy
enough to celebrate this attack in public, as I would have had to repeat to
myself again and again and again that violence is not the answer.

Your friend,

Arwin