TSE August 2001

Re: Definition of art

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]

Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:20:30 EDT

text/plain

--part1_59.ebeae1b.28ad5ade_boundary

I'd like to add to Roz's interesting post something that I'm sure she already
knows. John Rodker, the publisher of Eliot's Ara Vos Prec (Ovid Press), was
married to Mary Butts, though the marriage didn't last too long.

Eliot actually published an unusually large number of women in the Criterion.
This doesn't annul his patronizing remarks about women writers, but it does
suggest the situation isn't as simple-minded as it may seem.  Maybe he was
hypercritical of women but forever making "exceptions." I believe it was Paul
de Man who wouldn't allow women to come to his home. But, says Susan Sontag,
"he made an exception for me."

pat
In a message dated 8/16/01 12:37:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Date sent:          Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:31:45 -0700
> Send reply to:      [log in to unmask]
> From:               rfoy <[log in to unmask]>
> To:                 [log in to unmask]
> Subject:            Re: Definition of art

> found the work of Mary Butts (1890-1937) worth publishing.  He was in
> negotiations with her agent to publish a collection of her stories when
> she died suddenly in 1937. He had initiated the request because he knew
> her work, which, by the way, paralleled his in an odd sort of way.  He
> disliked her personally, or so she thought (she was addicted to opium, did
> heroin and cocaine and lived an extremely wild life), but he managed to
> rise above her lifestyle and recognize her ability, which many others
> could not do.  Her work is now coming back into modernist thinking.
> Penguin-UK this summer published one of her novels as a Penguin classic.
> All her novels and most of her stories have been reissued in the past
> decade.  Her only child only two years ago released her journals (21
> years) and papers to the Beinecke, her biography appeared in 1998, and
> last year I  published the first full-length study of her work.  The
> quality of her writing was recognized by Pound, McAlmon, Marianne Moore,
> H.D., Bryher, and, of course, Eliot.
>
>    Thanks,
>     Roslyn Foy
>     Univ. of New Orleans

--part1_59.ebeae1b.28ad5ade_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial Narrow" LANG="0"><B>I'd like to add to Roz's interesting post something that I'm sure she already
<BR>knows. John Rodker, the publisher of Eliot's <U>Ara Vos Prec</U> (Ovid Press), was
<BR>married to Mary Butts, though the marriage didn't last too long.
<BR>
<BR>Eliot actually published an unusually large number of women in the Criterion.
<BR>This doesn't annul his patronizing remarks about women writers, but it does
<BR>suggest the situation isn't as simple-minded as it may seem. &nbsp;Maybe he was &nbsp;
<BR>hypercritical of women but forever making "exceptions." I believe it was Paul
<BR>de Man who wouldn't allow women to come to his home. But, says Susan Sontag,
<BR>"he made an exception for me."
<BR>
<BR>pat
<BR>In a message dated 8/16/01 12:37:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,