TSE July 2001

Re: Pound and the Wasteland

"Nancy Gish" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Jul 2001 14:30:28 -0400

text/plain

Dear Rick,

By "simultaneously" I mean in 1922 at approximately the same time; I
should have said "almost simultaneously."  I assume it took a month or
more by sea to send things in any case.

What was sent to the Dial and published in the Criterion was the version
Pound and Eliot agreed to after all the cuts and editing.  The copy at the
end of the Facsimile (which is not of the Dial version but of the Boni and
Liveright book published in December, 1922), however, has at least one
correction from the Dial because the Dial left out the apostrophe in
"HURRY UP PLEASE IT'S TIME," (an error most editions persist in
retaining).  It was in the Criterion, of which TSE was then the editor and so
would have seen the page proofs.  The book also had the notes for the first
time; they were not in the Dial or Criterion.  What was sent to Quinn was
the whole mass of material Pound and TSE had cut and revised, i.e., what
is now published in the "facsimile."  In that edition, the left side pages are
simply photocopies of the MSS and typescript, and the right side pages
are printed versions to be readable.  On 19 July 1922 Eliot wrote the
following to Quinn:

"I should like to present you the MSS of the Waste Land, if you would care
to have it--when I say MSS, I mean that it is partly MSS and partly
typescript, with Ezra's and my alterations scrawled all over it."

If by "notebook" you mean all that material, it went to Quinn and was not
the basis of the journal versions or the first edition.  But I have never seen it
described as a notebook, a term generally used for _Inventions of the
March Hare_.

The main details are all in the first chapter of my TWL book, but they are
much more fully described in the notes and intro to the facsimile.  If you
want to study exactly what came out when, see Gallup's bibliography of
Eliot, which lists exact dates, etc., and tells the exact form of what was
included.

Best,
Nancy