TSE July 2001

Re: Parsifal -- giving and healing

"Rickard Parker" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 29 Jul 2001 12:41:50 -0400

text/plain

Thanks for the post Tom.

I was hoping that someone might have thought about posting about whether
Parsifal gave when I omitted "giving" in a previous post.  During an
off-list exchange with Tom I remembered that he mentioned seeing the
opera and so I prodded him to shun his relative silence and fill us in.
At that time I hadn't considered it myself.  Sometime afterward I realized
that Parsifal's going into battle would be itself a form of giving, the
possible giving up of his own life.

Tom's post giving the source of Parsifal's name may just get him a whack
in the head the next time he and Pat visit the opera together because
his post has led me to some new Verdenal connections.  I'm not forcing
these.
To me they flowed naturally.

I currently don't have as much time as I used to so I'm not going to
attempt to write anything readable about these half-formed thoughts but
I will include some of the notes I've written to myself in the hopes
that someone can jump in and keep the post going.

My notes are:

Kundry, like the Sibyl, had long life (but through rebirths.)
She dies at the end of Wagner's Parsifal.

Klingsor's garden of flower girls (Hyacinth garden?) turns to desert
(Eliot's stony rubbish preceeds Hyacinth garden episode line-wise but
what about chronologically?).

Parsifal showed the traits of giving, sympathizing and controlling.
These appear in the voice of the thunder section of TWL where Eliot
mentions "brother." (I relate "brother" to Verdenal.)

Parsifal was not trained as a knight, He was compassinate and a
healer.  The Verlaine quote comes after an allusion to the Gallipoli
Campaign where Eliot's friend Jean Verdenal, a doctor in the medical
corps, died while attempting to save another's life.

Verlaine's poem has Parsifal winning over the temptation of the boys
(consider this and the **HYACINTH** girl together.)
    Parsifal a vaincu les Filles, leur gentil
    Babil et la luxure amusante -- et sa pente
    Vers la Chair de garçon vierge que cela tente
    D'aimer les seins légers et ce gentil babil;
        Percival overcame the girls, their pretty
        noise and the amusing lechery -- and his penchant
        for the virgin boy's flesh that tempts him
        to love the wanton breasts and their pretty noise;

Mrs. Porter => Gallipoli campaign => followed by Verlaine's Parsifal
=> Wagner's Parsifal => Wagner's Tristan und Isolde => surrounds Hyacinth
garden section

Regards,
   Rick Parker

A collection of Parsifal URLs:

Pat Sloane's "Richard Wagner's Arthurian Sources, Jessie L. Weston,
and T. S. Eliot's The Waste Land." (while I'm not fond of Pat's
reading, this is a good place to gather Wagner/TWL facts)
    http://members.aol.com/patsloane/papers/wag-web.htm

Monsalvat, the site to go to for Wagner's Parsifal:
    Homepage:
        http://home.c2i.net/monsalvat/indexie5.htm
        http://home.c2i.net/monsalvat/conie5.htm
    Synopsis of plot:
        http://home.c2i.net/monsalvat/story0.htm
    Anotated libretto (in German and English):
        http://home.c2i.net/monsalvat/trans0.htm
    Verlaine's Parsifal
    (in French and English but be wary of the English)
        http://home.c2i.net/monsalvat/verlaine.htm
    The Waste Land
        http://home.c2i.net/monsalvat/logres.htm

Parsifal libretto in German:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/03581413454-0003/parsif-1.htm

Celtic Twilight - Grail and Arthurian Legends
    Homepage:
        http://www.celtic-twilight.com/
    On-line text - From Ritual to Romance
        http://camelot.celtic-twilight.com/weston/