TSE June 2001

Re: mirages in TWL

Marcia Karp <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 03 Jun 2001 11:11:14 -0400

text/plain

[log in to unmask] wrote:

> (1) Rick had said that in the story of the road to Emaus, Christ was
> invisible to the people he was walking along with.
>
> (2) I pointed out that Rick is incorrect--that this isn't what the
> Bible
> story says.

I, too, am missing something.  Pat, your first response to Rick, on
Friday 1:14p, included a quotation from him

> In a message dated 6/1/01 1:05:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
>>   *) In the story of Christ on the road to Emmaus, Jesus was there
>> but not
>>        seen.
>
> Are you getting your version of the story from the Bible or from the
> Internet? It sure doesn't sound like the Bible version.

He replied on Friday 2:35 p

> Sorry Pat, I see your point now.  A body was seen but not one
> recognized as Jesus.  I wrote "Jesus was there but not seen."  It sort
>
> of boils down to whether Jesus was "seen" if he was viewed but not
> recognized.

Your message, Friday 5:12p, addresses his point, but I wondered when I
read it if you hadn't received his "Sorry Pat."

> Heads up! It doesn't say that they didn't see him.  It says that they
> didn't
> know (recognize) him. Read the rest of the passage (and reread the
> part
> you've quoted).

I don't want to involve myself in the questions of integrity that have
been raised, and am really hesitant to say anything at all, but I think
the move from Rick having said

> Jesus was there but not seen.

to a paraphrase of that which says

> (1) Rick had said that in the story of the road to Emaus, Christ was
> invisible to the people he was walking along with.

is too slippery to let go.  Didn't Rick address the problem with his

> I wrote "Jesus was there but not seen."  It sort
>   of boils down to whether Jesus was "seen" if he was viewed but not
>   recognized.

The relation between sight and recognition is implied in "none so blind
as them that will not see."  Perhaps the OED can  mediate in regard to
Rick's original phrase.  Perhaps not.

SEE, v.
2. a. absol. and intr. To perceive objects by sight. Formerly often, to
have the faculty of sight, not to be blind (now commonly expressed by
_can see_).
_can see_ often means to have sufficient light or power of vision to see
as clearly as is necessary for some contextually implied purpose.
Sometimes an inf. of purpose follows, as ‘I can see to read, but not to
paint’.
2.i. To recognize the rightness or desirability of (an idea or thing);
to give credence to, believe, accept; to consent to (a proposal). Usu.
with it. _colloq._ (orig. _U.S._).

3. a. _(fig.) trans._ To perceive mentally (an immaterial object, a
quality, etc.); to apprehend by thought (a truth, the answer to a
question), to recognize the force of (a demonstration). Often with
reference to metaphorical light or eyes. Also, to foresee or forecast
(an event, trend, etc.); _U.S._, to understand (a person). Also, _to see
(something) coming_: to foresee or anticipate.
As the sense of sight affords far more complete and definite information
respecting external objects than any other of the senses, mental
perceptions are in many (perh. in all) languages referred to in visual
terms, and often with little or no consciousness of metaphor.

Marcia