TSE June 2001

Re: Chicago (OT)

Gunnar Jauch <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:49:09 +0200

text/plain

> Diese Nachricht ist im MIME-Format. Da Ihr Mailreader dieses Format nicht
unterstźtzt, kšnnte diese Nachricht ganz oder teilweise unlesbar sein.

--MS_Mac_OE_3076566549_160568_MIME_Part

am 28.6.2001 1:04 Uhr schrieb [log in to unmask] unter [log in to unmask]:

I live in Chicago (in fact I am now looking through the window  of my
appartment at some Mies van der Rohe buildings on the University of Chicago
campus).  I would definitely not recommend the University of Chicago since
its a pretty dull place and  very far away from the majority of the action.
Although one big plus for  TSE fans is that he once was a fellow at the
place.  The Art Institute, Field Museum and the Cubs are all great.  The
things which are unique about Chicago are all the great ethnic restaurants
(such as Greek restaurants in Greektown, which is just west of the Loop,
Ethiopian restaurants, Polish restaurants in the large Polish community on
the northwestern part of the city, Chinatown, which is just south of thew
Loop and very close to some rather scary housing projects.  There is also a
large Vietnamese community on the north  side of the city, known as Argyle
street, and a large Indian community on the extreme north side of the city
on
Devon Avenue.) The city also has a number of excellent jazz and blues clubs
although all of the really historic ones have closed and the majority of
such
clubs are located on the wealthier northside.  There is also a lot of cheap
experimental theater if you know where to find it.

Enjoy

J Derr

Dear J, dear Arwin,

to me the Windy City has always been THE pilgrimage place for architects,
the birthplace of modern architecture.

The great Louis Sullivan erected the first steel highrise buildings there
(shamefully covered up in stone in the beginnig), F.L. Wright's residential
buildings out in Oak Park deserve a visit, and his Unity Temple on
Kneilworth Ave. (built 1906) is one of the landmarks of modernism. The Oak
Park Public Library gives you an illustrated brochure (...persons visiting
the buildings are reminded that all are privately owned).

Perhaps you want to read Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead", a somewhat glorified
roman a clef describing the heroic life of F.L.W.. Haven't picked it up for
ages -- Howard Roark, oh brother...;-)
And there is so much more downtown - the gaudy Wrigley Building, the
brooding presence of the Marina Towers reminding one of corn cobs, Mies'
Campus buildings at the Institute of Technology and his Lake Shore Towers,
etc. ...

I had the chance to visit Chicago in three different decades, and it seemed
to me that the city had changed a great deal -- for the better. Arwin, take
a close look at the new train station at the airport (designed by the
Germann Whiz kid of Architecture Helmuth Jahn, the same who was responsible
for that famous post-modern conical downtown public building, I forget the
name... ): Extensive use of glass bricks, quite marvellous!

Have fun on your trip -- I envy you!!

Cheers,

Gunnar

--MS_Mac_OE_3076566549_160568_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Chicago (OT)</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
am 28.6.2001 1:04 Uhr schrieb [log in to unmask] unter [log in to unmask]:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2">I live in Chicago (in fact I am now looking thro=
ugh the window &nbsp;of my <BR>
appartment at some Mies van der Rohe buildings on the University of Chicago=
 <BR>
campus). &nbsp;I would definitely not recommend the University of Chicago s=
ince <BR>
its a pretty dull place and &nbsp;very far away from the majority of the ac=
tion. <BR>
Although one big plus for &nbsp;TSE fans is that he once was a fellow at th=
e <BR>
place. &nbsp;The Art Institute, Field Museum and the Cubs are all great. &n=
bsp;The <BR>
things which are unique about Chicago are all the great ethnic restaurants =
<BR>
(such as Greek restaurants in Greektown, which is just west of the Loop, <B=

Ethiopian restaurants, Polish restaurants in the large Polish community on =
<BR>
the northwestern part of the city, Chinatown, which is just south of thew <=

Loop and very close to some rather scary housing projects. &nbsp;There is a=
lso a <BR>
large Vietnamese community on the north &nbsp;side of the city, known as Ar=
gyle <BR>
street, and a large Indian community on the extreme north side of the city =
on <BR>
Devon Avenue.) The city also has a number of excellent jazz and blues clubs=
 <BR>
although all of the really historic ones have closed and the majority of su=
ch <BR>
clubs are located on the wealthier northside. &nbsp;There is also a lot of =
cheap <BR>
experimental theater if you know where to find it. <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Enjoy <BR>
<BR>
J Derr <BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Dear J, dear Arwin,<BR>
<BR>
to me the Windy City has always been THE pilgrimage place for architects, t=
he birthplace of modern architecture.<BR>
<BR>
The great Louis Sullivan erected the first steel highrise buildings there (=
shamefully covered up in stone in the beginnig), F.L. Wright's residential b=
uildings out in Oak Park deserve a visit, and his Unity Temple on Kneilworth=
 Ave. (built 1906) is one of the landmarks of modernism. The Oak Park Public=
 Library gives you an illustrated brochure (...persons visiting the building=
s are reminded that all are privately owned).<BR>
<BR>
Perhaps you want to read Ayn Rand's &quot;The Fountainhead&quot;, a somewha=
t glorified roman a clef describing the heroic life of F.L.W.. Haven't picke=
d it up for ages -- Howard Roark, oh brother...;-)<BR>
And there is so much more downtown - the gaudy Wrigley Building, the broodi=
ng presence of the Marina Towers reminding one of corn cobs, Mies' Campus bu=
ildings at the Institute of Technology and his Lake Shore Towers, etc. ...<B=

<BR>
I had the chance to visit Chicago in three different decades, and it seemed=
 to me that the city had changed a great deal -- for the better. Arwin, take=
 a close look at the new train station at the airport (designed by the Germa=
nn Whiz kid of Architecture Helmuth Jahn, the same who was responsible for t=
hat famous post-modern conical downtown public building, I forget the name..=
.. ): Extensive use of glass bricks, quite marvellous!<BR>
<BR>
Have fun on your trip -- I envy you!!<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Gunnar
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3076566549_160568_MIME_Part--