TSE June 2001

Re: OT: RE: The Waste Land

"J Blessinger" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:55:01 -0500

text/plain

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C0F392.B67D1780

I appreciated Richard Seddon's recent comments, but my own twopence is =
regarding something Kate contributed:

>The Person may be innocent, a victim of circumstances or another's=20
>manipulations.=20
>Percentage wise, more blacks are put to death than whites.=20
>Most of the people put to death are poor and do not have adequate =
defense=20
>counsel.=20

I understand that later in your letter you state that these points are =
made moot by the greater moral question.  I agree, yet wanted to address =
the earlier statements.

I'll grant the first point, which is a danger whenever a person is found =
guilty in any country, although certainly 60 years is more time for the =
truth to be found-out than the 6 years it took to condemn McVeigh.  =
However, as to the latter points:

1) In the case of federal executions, this is not true, with white =
people holding a solid majority

2) Logically , if you compare any two large and more-or-less random =
numbers one will almost always be greater, except in presidential =
elections. So barring legislation that requires one white for every =
black, this discrepancy will always give one group or another a =
seemingly unfair majority.

3) In the U.S., as in many countries, poorer citizens are far more =
likely to commit violent crimes.  In the U.S., African Americans make up =
a greater percentage of the poor than whites.  As you might expect, =
African Americans commit a disproportionate number of violent crimes.   =
That said, consider again point #2.  Finally, I hear no one protesting =
on the grounds that 99 percent of all executions -- probably even of =
life-sentences -- are performed upon men.  This is unfair, don't you =
think?

White people merely commit more "white collar crime" which means white =
people steal billions but without killing people directly.

4) All convictions which carry the death penalty carry an automatic =
appeal, thus the state-funded defense must be inadequate versus the =
state-funded prosecution, not once but twice.  I don't understand how =
state appointed defense attorneys are incompetent yet well-meaning =
buffoons while the state-appointed prosecution attorneys are quite =
competent.  If you were discussing a civil suit, as in the latter one =
brought against one O.J. Simpson this would be another matter, of =
course.

Certainly Tom K. can speak to all this far better than can I, but I =
wanted to get all that off my chest.

--Justin Blessinger

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C0F392.B67D1780

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I appreciated Richard Seddon's recent =
comments, but=20
my own twopence is regarding something Kate contributed:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV>&gt;The Person may be innocent, a victim of circumstances or =
another's=20
<BR>&gt;manipulations. <BR>&gt;Percentage wise, more blacks are put to =
death=20
than whites. <BR>&gt;Most of the people put to death are poor and do not =
have=20
adequate defense <BR>&gt;counsel. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I understand that later in your letter you state that these points =
are made=20
moot by the greater moral question.&nbsp; I agree, yet wanted to address =
the=20
earlier statements.</DIV></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'll grant the first point, which is a =
danger=20
whenever a person is found guilty in any country, although certainly 60 =
years is=20
more time for the truth to be found-out than the 6 years it took to =
condemn=20
McVeigh.&nbsp; However, as to the latter points:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1) In the case of federal executions, =
this is not=20
true, with white people&nbsp;holding a solid majority</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2) Logically , if you compare any two =
large and=20
more-or-less random numbers one will almost always be greater, except in =

presidential elections. So barring legislation that requires one white =
for every=20
black, this discrepancy will always give one group or another a =
seemingly unfair=20
majority.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3) In the U.S., as in many countries, =
poorer=20
citizens are&nbsp;far more&nbsp;likely to commit violent crimes.&nbsp; =
In the=20
U.S., African Americans make up a greater percentage of the poor than=20
whites.&nbsp; As you might expect, African Americans commit a =
disproportionate=20
number of violent crimes.&nbsp;&nbsp; That said, consider again point =
#2.&nbsp;=20
Finally, I hear no one protesting on the grounds that 99 percent of all=20
executions --&nbsp;probably even of life-sentences -- are performed upon =

men.&nbsp; This is unfair, don't you think?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>White people merely commit =
more&nbsp;"white collar=20
crime" which means white people steal billions but without killing =
people=20
directly.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>4) All convictions which carry the =
death penalty=20
carry an automatic appeal, thus the state-funded defense must be =
inadequate=20
versus the state-funded prosecution, not once but twice.&nbsp; I don't=20
understand how state appointed defense attorneys are incompetent yet=20
well-meaning buffoons while the state-appointed prosecution attorneys =
are=20
quite&nbsp;competent.&nbsp; If you were discussing a civil suit, as in=20
the&nbsp;latter one brought against one O.J. Simpson this would be =
another=20
matter, of course.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Certainly Tom K. can speak to all this =
far better=20
than can I, but I wanted to get all that off my chest.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>--Justin Blessinger</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT=20
size=3D2>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C0F392.B67D1780--