TSE May 2001

OT - Amiri Baraka poem read on-line

Rickard A Parker <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 May 2001 10:28:32 -0400 (EDT)

text/plain

This morning's commute started off with a poem on the radio.  The poem
was a tribute to Miles Davis by the poet Amiri Baraka.  Since I was on
the highway I was not able to pay enough attention to the words but I
thought the music of the poem was wonderful.  Through an incantation
of a URL and the magic of the web I should be able to share the poem
with you (in a couple of days anyway).

This post may all appear to be about Miles Davis but it isn't.  There
is a Bob Dylan link below too.  He has been mentioned on list a few
times by a few people so I thought it would be nice to include him too.

The tribute poem to Miles Davis should be found at the web page for
National Public Radio's "Morning Edition" Friday, May 25, 2001
    http://search.npr.org/cf/cmn/cmnpd01fm.cfm?PrgDate=05/25/2001&PrgID=3

The links to the audio files are currently not there.  That is typical
for NPR where they list the contents of the current day's show and
then supply a link to the audio the next day.  If you visit in a day
or two they will probably be there and so you will be able to hear the
wonderful sounds of Baraka's poem.

Near the end of the page is:

    Miles Davis -- Poet Amiri Baraka (ah-MEER-ee bah-RAH-kah) remembers
    Miles Davis on what would have been the jazz trumpeter's 75th
    birthday. Davis, recognized world wide as a musical innovator, died in
    1991. (6:59)

And then, since I've already got a NPR link above, here are some more
that may be of interest.

NPR also says:

    May is for Miles: He would have been 75 this month, and NPRJazz.org
    pays tribute to legendary trumpeter Miles Davis with multimedia
    features, CD reviews and more.

    http://www.nprjazz.org/

On National Public Radio's "All Things Considered" page is (was):

    In 1957, Miles Davis was responsible for the birth of "cool" jazz. In
    1959, he made Kind of Blue -- still the best-selling jazz record of
    all time. This week he would have been 75 years old. On Friday, All
    Things Considered remembers Miles.

    All Things Considered also pays tribute to Bob Dylan, who turns 60
    this week. One singer calls Dylan a "musical genius." Another says he
    "changed the face of songwriting for everyone who came after him."
    Hear that story and check out the rest of Thursday's show.

The "All Things Considered" page for Thursday, May 24, 2001 is
    http://search.npr.org/cf/cmn/cmnpd01fm.cfm?PrgDate=05/24/2001&PrgID=2

There they have:

    Happy Birthday Bob Dylan (14.4 | 28.8) -- Singer-songwriter Bob Dylan
    has a birthday today. The man who wrote Forever Young is now 60 years
    old. His influence on popular culture is strong. He also influenced
    many to pick up the guitar and sing. Dylan's music inspired a fellow
    Minnesotan named Bob Feldman to start a record label dedicated to
    recording great singer-songwriters. Red House Records has just
    released A Nod to Bob, a collection of artists interpreting their
    favorite Dylan songs. We hear from four of the artists. Guy Davis
    sings Sweetheart Like You, Eliza Gilkyson does Love Minus Zero, No
    Limit, Lucy Kaplansky sings It Ain't Me Babe, and Martin Simpson
    performs Boots of Spanish Leather. (12:30) For more information, visit
    Red House Records Web site, or call 1-800-695-4687

It's wonderful, you get to hear Dylan songs without having to hear
Dylan sing.

The URL to Red House Records Web site is
    http://www.redhouserecords.com/

Regards,
   Rick Parker