TSE March 2001

Re: Stetson in The Waste Land

"Nancy Gish" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:45:10 -0500

text/plain

Dear Richard,

I don't think I ever used the term "problem" in that context.  If so, it was not
about "finding."  My concern is that the poem as published had a sort of a
"structure" that was clearly imposed by Pound's cuts, Eliot's acceptance of
them, and the notes with their claim of a mythic structure that is actually
only discernable at all in section V where there really is a narrative and a
land and references to Grail quests.  Much of the first 4 sections was
written before Weston was published, but in any case, they do not have the
same materials in that way.  If you focus instead on associative models of
images, of course there are recurrent images and clusters of them that can
be seen to create a complex of meanings.  It can and has been read as
organized or coherent in various ways.  I did it myself once.  I think all that
has to be rethought in light of the facsimile, much more knowledge of
biography, Eliot's own later claims, and especially _Varieties of
Metaphysical Poetry_, which reveals a long term concern with what TSE
saw as disintegration of the subject, not just the culture.

Nancy