TSE March 2001

More on Stetson post

"Rickard Parker" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:39:24 -0500

text/plain

Steve sent a lot of detail in his "Stetson in the Waste Land" post and I
wanted to add a few more and make a few corrections too.  I decided that
I would do that in a seperate post from my real reply and this is it.

The battle of Gallipoli we usually think about took place on the
pennisula to the north of the Dardenelles but the campaign also took
place to the south.  It was there that the French landed.

One reason the battle was so difficult was because the first invasion
was called off and the ships headed back to Egypt to pick up the
ammunition that was needed!  This gave the Turkish army more warning.

The Verdenal dedication to Prufrock was simpler at first, originally
it was just "To Jean Verdenal, 1889-1915" (he was actually born 1890).
Later editions had the information about the Dardenelles.  For more
detail than most care about on the dedication see
http://world.std.com/~raparker/pub/jean.html#Dedications

On the diggers - this was an older Australian term for miners.  The
story is that the name got re-applied to the WWI soldiers because of
all the digging they did (trenches.)  I have a vague recollection
of reading that the soldiers were called diggers before WWI though.

On the "Mrs Porter" ballad I have more at
http://world.std.com/~raparker/exploring/thewasteland/exsongs.html#RedWing

You are just a bit off on the hats Steve.  Both Stetson and Akubra are
brand names.  While Stetson has come to signify a certain style of hat
(the cowboy hat) I don't think that Akubra has.  The picture that you
sent is more of the style that we call the Stetson but it is not the
style worn by the diggers.  That one looks like the classic safari hat
of the movies with one side of the brim turned up (left side, so when
the soldiers marched carrying their rifles left shoulder arms they would
not knock their hats off.) I picked up two of these hats when
vagabonding down under ages ago; they were made by two different
companies, neither was Akubra.

I may send some hat links in a future post.  I've got a few good hats and
Rick S. has at least one great one.

Regards,
   Rick Parker