TSE  March 2001

TSE March 2001

Re: The Uranian confusion

Sun, 4 Mar 2001 04:53:06 EST

text/plain

--part1_20.12cd898a.27d36a82_boundary

In a message dated 3/3/01 11:40:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> > So far as I know, these emotional tizzies never
> > happened, in the sense that there isn't any independent corroboration.
>
> This may not be independent, but Aiken wrote about one "tizzies" of these in
> "An Anatomy of Melancholy," Sewanee Review Jan-Mar, 1966) It dealt with an
> incident about the two of them (Eliot/Aiken). Yeah, Eliot was dead so he
> couldn't call Aiken a liar (but would he have anyway?)

This is a famous incident and I've read the article, which was reprinted in
some collection--maybe Tate's. Aiken did an article about TWL and titled it
"An Anatomy of Melancholy."

The title annoyed Eliot, who protested that the poem wasn't melancholy. Aiken
said he didn't mean the poem was melancholy. He meant that it had so many
literary allusions it reminded him of Burton's _Anatomy of Melancholy_ (which
also has many many literary allusions).

Eliot is supposed to have laughed at this, and indeed it's rather amusing.
Here's Eliot, the great master of literary allusion, missing the point of
Aiken's allusion in this case.

I'm not sure the incident "proves" anything except that Eliot had a good
sense of humor and could laugh at his own mistakes.

As long as you have the article, Rick, could you post it? Then you could show
us where you see Eliot falling into a rage, and why you think he would have
regarded Aiken as a liar. Lying about what ? Also, you seem to think this
anecdote has some bearing on Eliot's sexual orientation, and I don't
understand where you're coming up with that either.

pat

--part1_20.12cd898a.27d36a82_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial Narrow" LANG="0"><B>In a message dated 3/3/01 11:40:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
<BR>[log in to unmask] writes:
<BR>
<BR></FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></B>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">&gt; So far as I know, these emotional tizzies never
<BR>&gt; happened, in the sense that there isn't any independent corroboration.
<BR>
<BR>This may not be independent, but Aiken wrote about one "tizzies" of these in
<BR>"An Anatomy of Melancholy," Sewanee Review Jan-Mar, 1966) &nbsp;It dealt with an
<BR>incident about the two of them (Eliot/Aiken). &nbsp;Yeah, Eliot was dead so he
<BR>couldn't call Aiken a liar (but would he have anyway?)
<BR></FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR></FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial Narrow" LANG="0"><B>This is a famous incident and I've read the article, which &nbsp;was reprinted in
<BR>some collection--maybe Tate's. Aiken did an article about &nbsp;TWL and titled it &nbsp;
<BR>"An Anatomy of Melancholy."
<BR>
<BR>The title annoyed Eliot, who protested that the poem wasn't melancholy. Aiken
<BR>said he didn't mean the poem was melancholy. He meant that it had so many
<BR>literary allusions it reminded him of Burton's _Anatomy of Melancholy_ (which
<BR>also has many many literary allusions).
<BR>
<BR>Eliot is supposed to have laughed at this, and indeed it's rather amusing.
<BR>Here's Eliot, the great master of literary allusion, missing the point of
<BR>Aiken's allusion in this case.
<BR>
<BR>I'm not sure the incident "proves" anything except that Eliot had a good
<BR>sense of humor and could laugh at his own mistakes. &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>As long as you have the article, Rick, could you post it? Then you could show
<BR>us where you see Eliot falling into a rage, and why you think he would have
<BR>regarded Aiken as a liar. Lying about what ? Also, you seem to think this
<BR>anecdote has some bearing on Eliot's sexual orientation, and I don't
<BR>understand where you're coming up with that either.
<BR>
<BR>pat
<BR>
<BR>