]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  July 2009

TSE July 2009

Re: Moreover---Re: P.S.--on Birth, and copulation, and death

"O'Sullivan, Brian P" <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:23:55 -0400

text/plain

It seems to me that some of this disagreement is really just semantic. I'm pretty sure that Rick isn't saying that there's anything "light" or "playful" intrinsic to the subject of a corpse in a lysol. But doesn't "black comedy" and "cynical wit" often come from the incongruity of treating "heavy" subject matter in styles usually deemed appropriate to "light" subjects (or vice versa)?

Brian