Re: Sir Edwin Arnold

Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Fri, 5 Dec 2014 19:56:46 -0600

text/plain

Yes. Browsing on Amazon will never be quite the same as wandering through the stacks of a university library. Bibliographies have the same difficulty as Google: They don't list wonderful books on a topic one never thought of looking for. I've discovered many books in that way over the last 70 years. Well, not in the last six.

Carrol

-----Original Message-----
From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nancy Gish
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2014 4:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Sir Edwin Arnold

I think this is a major reason we need to see the internet not as a substitute for books or see books as obsolete. I prefer most of the time to sit in a library, find the most recent few books on a major topic, and follow the notes and bibliography. I realize this dates me, but the fact is that one only finds on the internet what one looks for. Serendipity never occurs. A great example is a paper I did on Eliot letters in the National Library of Scotland. I assume they are now in the new prose, but a few years ago they were unknown. I found them just by sitting on the floor by the very old handwritten catalogue in the manuscript room and pulling down all the indices with E. They were fascinating and not on the internet.

When I started working on Craiglockhart, none of that was on the internet either. Now the Hydra is, but not with the cartoons and some other material. So these tools complement each other.

If you want to look for what you don't have the key words for, browse: it works in a quite different and equally important way.
Cheers,
Nancy

P writes:
>We have the access, but who knows where to look & for what to look?

I suppose that that is the reason that blogs and mailing lists like this one exist. The Internet and Google in particular does not connect devices together. It connects people with people, people with information and information with people, it is the shared community that knows where to look and what to look for there.