]

:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  March 2006, Week 4

MOBIRDS-L March 2006, Week 4

Re: more woodpecker stuff: cherry-picker?

Edge <[log in to unmask]>

Edge <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 25 Mar 2006 11:20:57 -0600

text/plain

 From the reports I've read on the Cornell Ivory-bill website
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/ivory/volunteer.html

Larry and I expect to be doing both.  As to daily updates--well,
internet access on the Cache is well...not.

We're rearing to go.  Larry just showed at the door--think I'll entice
him to Eagle Bluffs.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO
On Friday, March 24, 2006, at 09:52 PM, Jill DeWitt wrote:

> So now I'm really curious. Will you be doing swamp duty or
> cherry-picker duty, Edge?
> And will we (list-servees) get an exclusive, day-by-day report on the
> IBWO search?!
>
> Jill DeWitt
> Kansas City, MO
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sherry McCowan" <[log in to unmask]>

>>> Ivory-billed. I don't think it is a stretch to think that the  sister
> [...]
>>> the
>>> tropical species. The three share some plumage and morphological
>>> features
>>> (white on tertials, no red on crest of females, black and unbarred
>>> body
>>> plumage, large size, tendency for females to have longer crests
>>> etc.) From a
>>> habitat standpoint the Magellanic Woodpecker is found in temperate
>>> forests,
>>> not tropical ones, and it needs very old or old growth forests, it
>>> does not
>>> take young forests, at least not commonly. Well, Magellanic
>>> Woodpeckers are
>>> birds I know pretty well from my time birding in Chile, I probably
>>> have seen
>>> over 50 but under 100 at this point. Just to "put it out there"  here
>>> is a
>>> summary of my experience with the Magellanic, and some comments on
>>> looking
>>> for the Ivory-billed.
>>> Magellanic Woodpeckers are not rare, but neither are they common.
>>> You can spend days in their preferred habitat and not see one, or
>>> hear one,
>>> but in many bird tours to Chile I have yet to miss this species on  a
>>> trip
>>> (knock on wood). I do often sweat it looking for this species, it
>>> certainly
>>> can be a difficult bird to see given that it is a showy and large
>>> woodpecker. In size Magellanic is smaller than an Ivory-billed, and
>>> not as
>>> showy in plumage. The habitat I find it in is old growth Nothofagus
>>> (southern beech) forest, or Araucaria (monkey puzzle) forest. The
>>> structure
>>> of these forests if of huge, tall old trees, draped in moss and
>>> lichen on
>>> the slopes of the Andes. You are generally restricted to searching
>>> areas
>>> near roads or park trails, so a really different situation than I
>>> imagine
>>> from Arkansas. But the similarities are that these forests are
>>> temperate, in
>>> early spring (when I am there) the forests are actually rather  quiet
>>> due to
>>> the low diversity of avifauna specifically found there and they are
>>> away
>>> from highways or other noisy distractions. Unlike the Arkansas
>>> forests, much
>>> of the Nothofagus retain leaves year-round, as does the Araucaria,
>>> so you
>>> have more complex viewing conditions than in Arkansas. Most often I
>>> find
>>> Magellanic Woodpeckers by chance, I just happen to catch a glimpse
>>> and see
>>> the bird, or they happen to fly over and we track down where they
>>> landed.
>>> Seldom do I actually hear the birds, either the vocalizations or  the
>>> rap. On one occasion in late October at one site I could hear many